Friday, February 4, 2011

14 LISTEN TO FATHER

One Saturday, when I was about 12 years old, our family decided to go fishing. Not far from our house, near Marysville, California, was a good sized reservoir. There was a levy built up around the reservoir that was covered with many trees; including some huge cottonwoods. It was a perfect place to fish and a beautiful day to do it in.

We were excited as we arrived at the reservoir. Birds were singing in the trees and a gentle breeze was causing the trees to whisper a peaceful melody.

My mother and sister, Marilyn, began to spread out a blanket and to set out a picnic lunch. Meanwhile Richard and my step-father and I, began looking for grasshoppers in the deep grass to use for bait.

I was the first to catch a grasshopper and to bait my hook. I found a good spot on the bank of the levy and cast my line into the water. As I did, a large carp swam couriously up from the bottom of the lake to take a look. My heart began to pound. Carp were not good to eat, but for a young boy to catch a big fish, no matter what it was, would be a fantastic victory.

With my eyes firmly fixed on the Carp in the water, I didn't pay any attention to a strange pop and a crackling sound that seemed to mix with the rustling of the trees.

Suddenly, I heard my step-father yell, "Move!" Immediately something inside of me also said, "Do it!" Without hesitation, I leaped to my left as a huge cottonwood tree came crashing down, right where I had been sitting. The outer branches swept across my head and back leaving some welt marks, but I was not seriously hurt. My willow fishing pole was broken and the Carp was gone, but I was safe.


Lesson Learned

I have been ever thankful that I did not stop to argue or to inquire, "Why?" or "Just a minute." My unquestioning, immediate, obedience paid off and saved me from serious injury or maybe even death! It is always best to take council or direction from those who have a better perspective than we do. I have compared my step-father to my Heavenly Father many times. When He says, "Move!" I move, without question or delay. I have had many experiences with this throughout my life. It has always been a good thing for me as I have immediately obeyed His promptings and direction. May we all do the same.



No comments:

Post a Comment