Sunday, April 3, 2011

17 RAFT MOVERS

Once when I was 8 years old, I had a frightening experience that I shall never forget. We were living in the south part of the town of Redding, California. It was spring time and it was on a warm sunny Saturday.

I had received permission from my mother to go over to a school friends house to play. So, shortly after lunch, I walked about 5 or 6 blocks to his house. He was excited to see me and we immediately began to play some of the normal games of our boyish youth.

We soon elevated to cops and robbers, but soon tired of that and began to look for more exciting adventures. My friend suggested that we try out his new raft on the pond near his home. I had not yet learned to swim, but did not want my friend to know that. I reasoned that if I stayed on the raft, I could have fun and be safe.

The pond was approximately 30 yards in diameter and I would estimate about 6 to 8 feet deep in the middle. We launched the raft and worked our way out to the middle with the help of a long pole. It was really fun and exciting as we splashed around and yelled and laughed. We could imagine ourselves floating in the open sea towards some magical treasure island where we would become rich and live in luxury for the rest of our lives.

We had only been in the water for about 10-15 minutes when it happened! In the excitement of play, I lost my focus and stepped backwards off the raft! As I fell, the momentum of my falling body pushed the raft away from me.

Terror seized my soul as I plunged into the cool water of the pond. Down I sank! I remember having my whole life pass through my mind. I kicked and struggled and gasped for air. Somehow I came up only to see that the raft was now about 8 to 10 feet away from me. "Oh no!" I thought, "If I drown mom is going to kill me! She will really be angry." Again, in my mind I could see the headlines in the morning newspaper, "The boy who couldn't swim, drowns in pond." "He should have minded his mother." Down I went again.

I fought and struggled and gasped and kicked my way to the top once again. As I came up, to my surprise, I saw that the raft was within my reach! One second I thought that I was going to die and the next second there was the raft! My friend had moved the raft with his stick over to where I was bobbing in the water. When I came up there it was and I grabbed it. With great effort I pulled myself up onto the raft.

I was gasping for air and spitting water, but a great feeling of relief swept over me. I laid on the raft until I caught my breath and then suggested that we go "to yonder island." I was weak, and terrified that I would fall off again. When we got to shore, my clothes were soaking wet. I was afraid to go home, because I thought my mother would want to know why I was wet. I didn't want to tell her. So, I laid on the grass and rested for awhile. We must have laid there for almost an hour as the warm spring sun dried my clothes and shoes and warmed me up. I then decided to go home and I never told my mother what had happened.


LESSON LEARNED

Sometimes in our daily living, we are riding along on the raft of life with our friends or our loved ones. We are enjoying the ride, but then we lose our focus or our concentration and by some foolish gesture or act, we fall off into the troubled waters or ways of the world. We are basically good people, but we just lose our concentration and fall into situations or circumstances that could destroy us.

Usually no one pushes us off the raft. We fall off as a result of our own actions. As we fall, we push away from the things that can save us from a miserable life or even destruction. These things (the raft) may be our family or our circle of friends or our religion or church. I think in those times of distress, that no one can help us unless we are willing and make an effort ourselves to climb back onto the raft. Those who were on the raft with us become very important at this critical time. Like my friend, the best thing that they can do for us is to move the raft close enough to us so that we can grab hold of it when we are ready and pull ourselves to safety. I'm glad my friend didn't laugh at me or scold me for falling off the raft. He didn't say,"You dummy! It's your fault that you fell off. I told you to be careful. Now you will have to suffer the consequences."

Instead my friend just moved the raft close enough so that I could grab it again and pull myself out of what I thought would be a watery grave. I liken the sun, to the warm healing influence of our Savior, that can help dry up our mistakes and bring peace and joy to our souls. I hope that in the future, when I see a friend or family member or an associate, fall off their raft of life, that I will be a "raft mover' and not a criticizer.

What we need most in life is a whole lot more people who are willing to be "raft movers." I am so thankful that I knew at least one in my life! I do not remember my friends name, but I will always remember what he did for me. I am thankful that he was a raft mover that day. God bless all of the raft movers in our lives. If our hearts are right, maybe we can be raft movers too.

No comments:

Post a Comment